Is Paris a good choice of seat for institutional arbitrations?
Yes. Paris courts are very familiar with and supportive of institutional arbitration. Paris is the home of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), a French not-for-profit association founded in 1919 and devoted to the development of international commerce that has been at the forefront of the development of international arbitration. Thousands of arbitrations have been held in Paris under the ICC Arbitration Rules and the supervision of the ICC’s International Court of Arbitration. Paris is also the home to several other arbitration institutions such as the Centre de Médiation et d’Arbitrage de Paris (CMAP) and the Association Française de l’Arbitrage (AFA). Paris is also a frequent seat for arbitrations under the rules of many other institutions that are themselves not based in Paris, including the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and its international branch (the ICDR), and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Will I easily find interpreters and court reporters in Paris to assist me during my arbitration?
- How often will I have to travel to Paris during the arbitral procedure?
- Is there any major consideration to take into account when selecting the seat of arbitration?
- Can I select Paris as the seat for an ad hoc arbitration?
- Does the law applicable to the contract usually determine the seat of the arbitration?
- When I decide to hold an international arbitration in Paris, am I free to choose the language of the procedure and the law that will govern my contract?
- By holding my arbitration in Paris, am I obliged to conduct the arbitral proceedings with French arbitrators and lawyers?
- In choosing Paris as my seat of arbitration, do I guarantee the independence of my arbitrators?
- Is there any advantage to choosing Paris as the place of arbitration for an ICSID or other arbitration between a State and a private party?
- Can I easily find specialists in my field in Paris?
- Does France have its own “idea” of what international arbitration means?
- Is Paris a leading venue in terms of the number of arbitrations held over recent years?
- Is Paris a well-regarded seat of arbitration?